Saturday, June 21, 2014

Baked Eggs in Avocado


Lately I have seen a few photos of this interesting breakfast idea and I have been wanting to try it.  So today we are going to a barbecue later on in the day and needed a quick breakfast/brunch and something that is healthy and not too heavy.  This dish turned out to be a success and I'll definitely make it again.  Next time I would like to improve on it and make it look even better.  It is really difficult to make sure that the egg whites stay inside of the avocado, therefore I carved a little bit of it before placing the egg inside.  Some of it still came out while baking.  Next time I'll carve it even more.  So here is the easy recipe for this tasty breakfast dish.

(Serving Size: 2)

Ingredients:

  • 1 avocado, halved and pitted
  • 2 eggs
  • salt and ground black pepper to taste
  • 1 pinch cayenne pepper
  • optional: crumbled and cooked bacon (I did not use this)
  • optional: 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh chives (I did not have any today, so I did not use this either)

Directions: 
  • Heat oven to 425 degrees F (about 220 degrees C)
  • Put foil inside of a small and deep baking dish
  • Place the avocado halves into the baking dish 
  • Crack 1 egg into each avocado half
  • Season with salt, pepper and cayenne pepper (to taste)
  • Bake in a preheated oven until done (about 15-20 minutes)
  • When done, take out and sprinkle with bacon and chives if you decide to use them
  • Serve warm with Mimosas if you would like

Bon apetit!  : P

No comments:

Post a Comment