Ivan and I both love Gulas (Beef Stew) and decided to make it for dinner tonight. Gulas is made in our home country Bosnia and Herzegovina, as well as in other Balkan and European countries. It originated in Hungary and each country that adopted this delicious dish adds something of its own to make it unique.
We used sliced beef for stews and cooked it with onion, garlic, green pepper, some tomato sauce, and seasoned it with salt, pepper and paprika. We served it with store bought gnocchi, as shown in the photo. This is a great dish to make when it is cold outside.
- 1 1/2 pounds of stew meat (beef), cut up in squares
- 1 onion (add some green onions if you would like), chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 small carrot, cleaned and cut in circles
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- oil (I used sunflower seed oil)
- tomato sauce (to taste)
- about 2 tablespoons of flower
- salt, pepper and paprika to taste
- store bought gnocchi (or homemade)
- Saute onions and garlic in oil for a few minutes, then add carrot and pepper and keep cooking for a little
while longer, until soft
- Add beef and saute for 5-10 minutes
- Add about 1 cup of water and some tomato sauce, salt, pepper and paprika and mix
- Add flour, mix in and keep cooking
- If sauce starts to evaporate, add more water
- Add more tomato sauce, salt, pepper and paprika according to taste
- Keep simmering on low-medium for about 45 minutes until the meat is fully cooked
- Keep adding water so that the meat does not burn and so that the meat can cook in sauce
- Add more salt, pepper, paprika and tomato sauce if you would like when cooked.
- Serve with cooked gnocchi and your favorite drink